Phyllodes tumour recently diagnosed.

Please read, and agree to, the Agreement Announcement prior to posting your personal story.

Phyllodes tumour recently diagnosed.

Postby hochiwich » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:06 am

Five years ago I discovered a lump in my right breast so went to see my doctor. I had previously had a lump removed from the same breast around thirty years before, so was not worried as this one felt much the same as that one did, and that one had been benign. On having a needle biopsy on this one I was told that the hospital were aware of the lump, they had been keeping an eye on it for some years, on mammograms. This would seem to point to slow growth.

In August of last year I went for a regular two-yearly mammogram and was asked to come for a core biopsy. I was informed that this was a fibroadenoma and harmless, but as it was now over 4 cms they would prefer to remove it. However, as my general health is not good we agreed to leave it for the time being and monitor it.

However, after the biopsy I experienced a lot of aching and little sharp pains in the lump and I noticed it growing much more quickly. A few weeks ago I requested another consult with the surgeon and upon examination I was told that this lump was now seen to be a phylloides or phyllodes tumour. It will be removed next month along with a margin of tissue to prevent it recurring. I can't now remember whether I was told at that time that it was still regarded as benign although they did say that this type can change. I assume that without a further biopsy there is no easy way of knowing for sure.

The lump is continuing to grow at a noticable rate which means that more of the breast will be removed the larger it gets. I have been looking at online information which seems to vary a bit, but I think I have the main facts now although, this being a rare form of breast tumour, the whole picture is a little unclear. Not unnaturally I have been feeling rather weepy on and off , for the last few days.

I am not a young woman, approaching 67 in fact, but not old either. I have already lost my genitalia due to lichen sclerosus and am now to lose a large part of one breast if not all of it, with the spectre of possible recurrence, malignancy and untreatable metastases hanging over me. I do realise that my situation may seem trivial compared to so many but that doesn't make me feel less unhappy about it. I do apologise however if I seem to be making a fuss over nothing. I have no wish to compare myself with others in far worse situations. I suppose the hardest part for me is coping alone so finding this forum was reassuring. I will try to take part as my energy levels allow.
hochiwich
Caring Member
Caring Member

Cancer Diagnosis: Phyllodes tumour benign
Relationship To Patient: Self

Return to Submit Your Personal Story - ** Publicly Viewable **