Colo-Rectal Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Please read, and agree to, the Agreement Announcement prior to posting your personal story.

Colo-Rectal Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Postby AztroRover » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:17 pm

Hi my name is James, In June 2023 I was diagnosed with Colo-Rectal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. I was immediately told I have very rare cancer. Diagnosed at 0.1 of all cancers. None of my doctors have ever seen or treated a patient with this form of cancer. My treatment was done in a 5 week process of including 2 doses of mitomycin at the infusion center, then 5 days of 5FU via pump at home at the start of each infusion, given at the beginning and of my treatment of 5 weeks of radiation therapy administered Mon-Fri. Treatment was horrible although I responded well, not having any issues. Week 3 after my first infusion I did get a neutropenic fever that I was kept at the hospital one night for observation. The rest of treatment went as planned. It was very difficult for me not having doctors who knew how to treat this cancer, or even explain how it would go or what I can expect. I changed oncologist because I felt I did not connect with my first doctor a female, I requested a male doctor having my cancer in a very sensitive area -I preferred talking about with a male. He was not very responsive and only gave me a phone appointment after treatment was concluded did I finally meet him. He recommended a follow up in a year after treatment, way too long I thought. My radiation oncologist was much better, she says she wants to see me every 3-4 months for the first year.

My symptoms were a lot of blood coming from my rectum, not with stool but blood alone. I went to urgent care first and was told I probably have aggravated palps or internal hemorrhoids or even ulcers. I was given antibiotics and sent home that was in May. I had been bleeding probably since April. My primary doctor had me take a at home cancer screening that came back negative. He also ordered a lad submitted stool sample, it showed blood but he assured me it mean nothing. I insisted I get a colonoscopy, he said to wait till I am 50 that would have been 6 months from then. I insisted again, not knowing at the time I have insurance that does not require a referral. I could have scheduled it without my doctor approving, did not know that. Well I had the scope done on the 6th of June and the doctor who performed the exam found the mass measuring 10cm, it was non obstructive in the upper area of my colon-rectum. She told me coming our of twilight what she had found but did not know what it was, on June 12 she called and told me it was cancer, squamous cell carcinoma, she had never seen it and told me she doubted any doctors ever had. Its a very rare cancer indeed.

I am a public high school teacher and since my treatment was during the summer into June- August I did take 8 weeks off and went back to the classroom on Sept 15th. I have been back to work and feeling better everyday since. I am asked if I feel like I still have cancer I can say I don't have any symptoms I had while I had cancer. I probably have a form of IBS but it has been for years. Its what probably kept me from getting a colonoscopy in the first place. Today is 12-12-23. I will have my first pet-ct scan since completing treatment. Send me good vibes, Thank you.
AztroRover

Cancer Diagnosis: Colorectal Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Relationship To Patient: Self

Return to Submit Your Personal Story - ** Publicly Viewable **