Green Tea Choices

Green Tea Choices

Postby Helen Marshall » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:36 pm

I've been drinking one form of green tea for over a year now, after reading recommendations on its beneficial healing/anti-cancer properties in books such as Dr. Servan-Schreiber's AntiCancer. I don't really care for the taste, so I worked out a recipe using pomegranate juice along with the tea, drunk chilled.

But recently I saw a reference somewhere (chemo brain!) about "turmeric ginger green tea," which not only has the green tea benefit but the healing power of turmeric's curcumin, and ginger, as well. I occasionally eat curries but they are not a regular part of my life, so I ordered some of this tea. Worth a try - it's delicious!!! Spicy and fresh. Those of you with access to specialized grocery stores such as Trader Joe's can probably find it locally, but I had to search online for it.
Helen Marshall
Dedicated Supporter
Dedicated Supporter

Cancer Diagnosis: Squamous cell anal carcinoma
Relationship To Patient: Self

Re: Green Tea Choices

Postby Iffy11 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:09 am

One good thing about turmeric is that it has a neutral taste. Actually it taste like dust to me, but I don't taste it when I add it to things. You can add turmeric to eggs, rice, soup....lots of stuff. It doesn't really have a taste like I said...IF you dont' use to much.
By the way, it's supposed to be good for improving memory! Maybe counteract that chemo brain!
Imelda
Iffy11
Dedicated Supporter
Dedicated Supporter

Cancer Diagnosis: Anal Cancer, Stage 1 or 3

Postby adonald » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:25 am

That's interesting, Imelda, because turmeric has a VERY strong taste and smell to me. I happen to love it, but it's true that you don't want to use too much or it can be overpowering. I just went to my kitchen and opened my turmeric jar and sniffed - mmm.

For the last two or three years I've been putting a sprinkle or two in my rice when I cook it because it's supposed to be anti-cancer. Also, as an added benefit, it makes the rice a nice yellow color.

Alison
adonald
Dedicated Supporter
Dedicated Supporter

Cancer Diagnosis: Anal cancer

Postby Iffy11 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Link about turmeric and memory:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/457628-effects-of-turmeric-on-memory/
Link about turmeric and cancer:
http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/HerbsVitaminsandMinerals/turmeric
At the American Cancer Society there is also info on Green Tea.

Imelda
Iffy11
Dedicated Supporter
Dedicated Supporter

Cancer Diagnosis: Anal Cancer, Stage 1 or 3

Return to Common Interest Topics