My story

Please read, and agree to, the Agreement Announcement prior to posting your personal story.

My story

Postby Pixiecup » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:05 am

My story is much like many of the introductions I’ve read here on the forum. Same symptoms, same treatment, and good results. Like many others, a colonoscopy saved my life and I am grateful for that.

I had (still have) wonderful doctors who make it their business to see that I stay healthy. I try not to think about my prior journey through that dark time. Yet I’m always reminded about what my colo-rectal surgeon told me after my treatment for anal cancer. His words were “You have to realize that from now on you will have new bowel habits, some which will not be pleasant”. Ok, great. I’ve had diarrhea for months, now it’s going to continue? Well, of course it did for a while, but the only thing I can think of now is that unpredictability rules my life.

To tell the truth, I’m scared of traveling because I’m away from my safe place and my private bathroom. No one understands when you are in the bathroom for a while, plus you take all these supplies in with you. I’m scared of soiling myself and trust me, I’ve thrown away many a pair of ruined underwear. :sad: Then I have to think about what kind of protection I have to use, just in case.

We did take a trip overseas and I was almost delirious that there were bidets everywhere! If only that was true here.

True, I can’t complain...I’m past the big C and grateful that I made it. So many others aren’t that lucky. I have a loving supportive husband and a good life.

If only I wasn’t so afraid of telling people that I had ANAL cancer. Most assumed that an older woman with cancer has breast cancer.

Maybe I’ll get over that someday. I wish you good luck on your journey.
Pixiecup

Cancer Diagnosis: Anal Cancer
Relationship To Patient: Self

Return to Submit Your Personal Story - ** Publicly Viewable **