Just beginning...

Please read, and agree to, the Agreement Announcement prior to posting your personal story.

Just beginning...

Postby deedee823 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:23 pm

On October 29, 2012 I discovered a lump on my left ribcage about the diameter of a quarter. My primary care physician said it appeared to be a lipoma, which is a benign fatty growth. He told me that I could have it removed if it bothered me. Less than two months later, I returned to my doctor's office for a routine recheck visit for another condition, and the growth was now the size of a large grapefruit. It was tender, and causing referred pain in my left upper back, upper arm, forearm, and wrist. He was very concerned and insisted that I see a surgeon immediately, because he thought it was probably a sarcoma.

I had a CT scan of my chest on Monday, January 23, 2012, and then surgery on January 25, 2012. I do not have the pathology results back at this time, because the surgeon sent the samples to the Mayo Clinic, and Emory University to determine the grade and cell type. I have been told that it was indeed sarcoma, and am scheduled for another CT scan of my abdomen and pelvic area on Friday, February 10, 2012.

The area of the incision is still very sore, and the incision is from my armpit down to near my hip on my left side, but all the referred pain is now gone. My surgeon says I will need radiation therapy, but I'm not sure I want to do that, or if it is absolutely necessary. Radiation causes cancer. So couldn't this extreme exposure increase the incidence of future cancer. I have always thought that I would never allow radiation therapy, or chemo, and that I would just rather take my chances with the disease. However, I'm now trying to make a very informed decision on this and I'm torn. I don't want to jeopardize my health either way, with it, or without it.

I don't know...
deedee823

Cancer Diagnosis: Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Relationship To Patient: Self

Re: Just beginning...

Postby sharon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:09 pm

I had 37 high dose radiation treatments in 1998. I am still here.

Radiation today is far less damaging then it was decades ago. They are able to direct it better so that collateral damage is kept to a minimum. I don't mean to tell you what to do, but this sarcoma may require further treatment. Wait and see what the pathology reports say before you make a final decision. And, you can always ask to have a 'second opinion' oncologist review your case.
Take Care, Sharon - Administrator
This post should not be considered medical advice. Review all information with your doctor.
sharon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Cancer Diagnosis: adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast
Relationship To Patient: Self

Return to Submit Your Personal Story - ** Publicly Viewable **